Friday 13 July 2012

A Sewing Journal



You will have gathered by now that I have thrown myself into a number of sewing projects recently with gusto. It's a real learning curve! I have gone from the sort of person who uses a sewing machine around once every eight years to nearly every week. 

So I decided to start a sewing journal...





I picked up a cheap scrap book, covered in (yes that) fabric - the thin patch I cut from my bargain sheet, and set to recording my projects, important sewing terms I need to remember if I'm going to decipher patterns, and valuable lessons I've learned along the way.











The hardest thing for me is not worrying about making everything neat! I'm hoping it'll serve as a valuable book of lessons tailored just for me, and with perseverance, a showbook of how far my skills have come when I flick back through it in the future. 



I'm thinking of starting a photography journal too. Do you ever keep records of your work, perhaps through your blog? Do you note down the lessons you learn from crafting?

Before I go, a huge thank you to everyone who took part in Creatives Unite! last night. We had a number of new members and I hope you all got something out of it. Please help spread the word!

Have a relaxing (non-superstitious) Friday,








P.S: Have you entered my Perfect Night In Giveaway yet?






6 comments:

  1. smart idea and I love the front cover! I don't keep records of my work, but I'm thinking about it know. I enjoyed creativesunite very much, I'll sure spread out the word. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - really pleased you enjoyed Creatives Unite!

      Delete
  2. I love it!

    I always keep a little journal of patterns I've made up and tested and I also staple business cards of all my favourite Etsy shops in there with a little description of what I have bought.

    I am a keen photographer and have a Flickr site, but always have images printed too. I buy great big spiral bound manilla books with ribbon ties in paperchase and 'smash' book my photos. Washi tape has plenty to do with it ;-)

    Look forward to seeing your journal develop!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The business card idea is a good one, will start doing that. I think we should all print more of our photos. I still love looking through my parents' snaps so it seems odd not to have more prints of my own. x

      Delete
  3. I kept a journal when I did summer stock theater--gossip from rehearsals, programs, ticket stubs, polaroid photos. However, my blog is really my journal for the most part: what I cooked, what movies I watched, books I read, etc. I think it would be nice to have something tactile, though, rather than just digital!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about whether my blog would serve as a journal, and of course it does to a certain extent, but sometimes I need something to remind me which way to load the spool into the machine and a nudge to make sure I remember the lessons I learned the hard way. How fantastic to have both, though!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!