Wednesday 1 January 2014

Blowing Away the Crafty Cobwebs and Welcoming in 2014


Well hi! I'm just stoking up the fire in the Miss Beatrix sitting room and popping the kettle on. Welcome to 2014 in this here corner of the internet. 

I should probably get the duster out too, because I've not been here myself for a while. I've been around, in the background, still keeping #PostCircle and Creatives Unite ticking over, still working on various projects, but I haven't felt fully present with this blog for the last few months of 2013. Don't worry, it wasn't because I suddenly fell out of love with blogging or craft or being creative, or standing on one leg on a chair in my tiny garden taking photographs. If I'm honest - and I've had time over Christmas to do a fair bit of reflecting on all this - I sort of, well, burned out. Took too much on. Forgot how to say no. Started dashing from one crazy deadline to the next and lost myself along the way. 2013 was a stellar year in many ways - I emptied my happiness jar of all its bits of paper goodness last night and it was like confetti - sooo many wonderful moments to treasure. But it was also one of the toughest years of my life. I'm grateful for the strength and the lessons brought by hard times, but let's face it, they can stifle one's creativity a little.

Anyway, a fortnight off the day job couldn't have popped up in my calendar at a better time, because it's made me realise how exhausted I've been, what I want to cut back on and what I want to focus on and make the best it can be. I've found time to read all those craft magazines, blogs and books I've been stockpiling for months, I've worked on craft projects for the first time since the summer, and I'm pleased to say that at the core of everything, I'm more in love with craft and creativity and sharing this with the world than ever before, so I'll be back blogging regularly from now on. I'll just be doing it in a less pressured, more deliberate sort of way. We have slow fashion - I'm advocating slow blogging. It's the future, folks. 

I'm really excited about this year. I've been busy getting stuck into a new creative role for the past three months, and it's very nearly time to be able to tell you all about it (eeeep!). I have shed loads of craft projects waiting to be indulged in. #PostCircle is undergoing some big changes as I type this, which should mean I stop getting stressed about it and you get a faster turnaround when you join. And I've set some really motivating personal, professional and creative goals. (I don't do resolutions, per sé, instead being a staunch advocate of Leonie Dawson's Incredible Year Workbook. If you haven't heard of it, I can highly recommend it, it's magic stuff and really made a huge difference in how my 2013 panned out.)

Here are some of my creative goals for 2014 (because I'm also all for accountability!)


  • Become a reader again. Ask anyone who knows me and they'll tell you I'm a bookish sort. I love stories, and the part they play in our everyday lives and our identities. I adore getting lost in a great read. The problem has been that I've not made enough time to read over the past few years, so I'll be making that a priority to recapture the reading magic, and for much-needed relaxation and learning. Backing away from the iPad...

  • Give quilting a bash. Way back in June the extremely kind and thoughtful Hannah sent me some #PostCircle themed patches for my birthday. While I regularly take them out of my WIP basket and admire them, I still haven't got round to paper piecing for the first time since I was ten. Come on Anna!

  • Crochet an actual thing, and keep on crocheting. I learned the basics in 2013, thanks to the patient and lovely Adele. Now she tells me I need to stop faffing about and make something, and I'm rather inclined to agree. 

  • Do two craft fairs. I've started preparations for this one - I'm currently making two signs for my new-look stall after being inspired by a day spent at The Button Tin

  • Bring new button designs to my Etsy shop. This one is also already in motion. I adore making and painting buttons, and can't wait to list new designs. 

Of course I'll keep you posted on my progress! Stay tuned for news of the makes I've been working on lately, some glimpses around my new workspace now it's been crafted up (see the first peek above), and the latest edition of my newsletter.

Happy New Year! What creative goals have you set yourself for 2014?









P.S: In 2013 thank you all for... * Joining up to #PostCircle and making it a monster project far beyond my wildest dreams * Your cheery, supportive participation in Creatives Unite week after week * Your button purchases and hellos at my craft stalls * Reading this blog and leaving lovely comments * Cards and letters in times of need and celebration * Cheering me on through social media, even when I've posted one too many cute Instagrams of Beatrix (is there such a thing?!) * Your 'saw this and thought of you' tweets * x

PPS: I'm a day late in publishing #PostCircle Star of the Month - so you can guess what tomorrow's post will be!

22 comments:

  1. It's great to see you back! And I definitely agree to the slow blogging mantra! Quality not quantity. Your goals are great, there is nothing nicer than a quilt that you made with your own hands! My creative goal is to try and keep a 'happy scrapbook'. I do all sorts of wonderful things and never have anything solid to remember them by. So I think I shall change that. Also- It uses up lots of my stash which is excellent! I hope you have a wonderful 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Your scrapbook idea sounds wonderful - I might put my 2013 happy jar bits of paper into something similar. Happy New Year! x

      Delete
  2. Lovely to have you back Anna, and Happy New Year! Wishing you everything that you wish yourself, sweetie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are excellent resolutions; more time for reading sounds like a very good plan! Looking forward to seeing your new designs in the shop? Perhaps a Narwhal? :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring list you have there! One of my creative aims Is to learn how to use my very old sewing machine and finish at least one sewing project using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab! Good luck, I had a go on an old sewing machine before Christmas and loved how smoothly it ran. x

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year! Quilting is fab esp hand quilting:-) My new yr's resolution is just to slow down and give myself time to express my creativity and of course more Crafternoon teas and creative and crafty blogger meets! Have fun, Samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't think of a better resolution than that Samantha :) x

      Delete
  6. It sounds as though you're going to have a wonderful year Anna, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it as you go! Your posts always ring so true, and capture the pressures, issues and dilemmas that so many of us face - and so to see you keeping on flying the flag for craft and creativity amidst it all is inspiration for us all. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, thank you Helen. You're an inspiring crafter too, with your many great ideas! x

      Delete
  7. Happy 2014 Anna. I hope you have a great year doing things which make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy, it's what it's all about, right? x

      Delete
  8. Have a great creative crafty 2014! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic one! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we're crafting it'll all go great, thanks Ada x

      Delete
  9. I got biz n life planner for this year too - as well as starting the 52 lists and one little word projects - hoping to be super organised, focused & productive by the end of the year - but if not hope to have had fun trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you have the planner too! Definitely the right attitude - have fun along the way :) x

      Delete
  10. Hi Anna, I discovered bloglovin' last year and really enjoyed reading your blog. Hope you have a fab 2014. I too am a big reader and I'd recommend you have a look at goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/. It's great for finding books you'd like to read as well as keeping track of what you've read and of course the various groups you can join.
    All the best. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, that's really kind. I love goodreads, I browse it for inspiration on my lunchbreak sometimes! x

      Delete
  11. Yay I always love reading your blog posts. Definitely agree with the quilting, reading and crochet. All of those are on my list for this year too! Crochet I can do a wonky square.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - we're both on the same wavelength with our goals this year! x

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!